There's nothing quite like the moment you lay eyes on that special person on your wedding day. It's the coveted shot every photographer and videographer longs to capture. When two sets of eyes meet and it seems as if all of a sudden, time stops and you are the only two people in the room.
Traditionally, this moment occurs when the doors open and the groom lays eyes on his bride as she walks down the aisle. In recent years, however, it has become popular for couples to arrange the first look to happen before the ceremony begins. This allows them to share a moment before the ceremony and quiet their nerves together. It also guarantees that the photographer and videographer will capture the special moment that just may take center stage on their photo wall or in a highlight video!
If you choose to schedule your first look prior to the ceremony, here are some tips to help you have the best experience, and the best outcome.
- Highlight the importance of this moment with your wedding planner, so that it is included in the schedule of the day. A wedding planner's job is to keep things moving at a steady pace, so if you forget to mention that you want this time, he or she may not consider it important!
- Make sure you let your photographer and videographer where the location of the first look will be, so they can capture the moment naturally, while still not invading your space. Photographers deal with the constant tension of getting the ideal shot, versus respecting the events themselves. Everyone will feel more comfortable if you state your preferences beforehand. You should never be shy about giving photographers direction - they want it!
- Once the moment is captured, feel free to dismiss your photographer and videographer altogether. They have gotten the shot they need - there's no reason for them to linger. This ensures you enjoy a private moment with your future spouse without having to worry about interruptions.
- Be sure to consider the setting of the location where you choose to have this first look. While you may only have eyes for each other, a scenic or interesting backdrop for this special moment will only make it better!
- Take your time. Ultimately, this moment isn't for your photographer or videographer or wedding planner - it's for you! Enjoy it.
Our photographers always enjoy capturing these first look moments. Have a look at some of our favorites below!